Wednesday

7 Small Businesses You Can Start With ₦20,000 in Ibadan and Lagos in 2026


Many people think you need millions to start a business in Nigeria. That is not true. In 2026, with ₦20,000 you can start small and grow. I am writing this from my experience as a car washer in Dugbe, Ibadan, and from what I have seen when I visited Lagos markets.


I do not do business in Lagos myself. My base is Dugbe, Ibadan where I have worked at a public park since May 4th 2025 after closing my barbershop in 2024. But I have seen Lagos hustle - Computer Village, Yaba, Oshodi - and the ideas work in both cities. I will tell you which one I do in Ibadan and which one I only observed in Lagos.


Here are 7 businesses with the correct breakdown that adds to ₦20,000.

1. Pure Water and Cold Drinks Hawking - Ibadan Dugbe

This is common in Dugbe park. You don't need a shop.


Breakdown with ₦20,000:

- 4 bags of pure water x ₦400 = ₦1,600

- Small cooler / bucket = ₦6,000 (buy once)

- Ice block = ₦1,000 daily

- 1 crate of soft drink (Coke, Fanta) = ₦5,500

- Transport and small table = ₦5,900


Total = ₦20,000.


Profit: You sell pure water ₦20 each x 20 sachets per bag = ₦400 per bag, profit ₦0? Actually you sell 3 bags daily = profit about ₦1,200. Plus soft drinks profit ₦100 per bottle. On a good day in Dugbe you make ₦2,500 profit. I see this every day at the park.

2. Phone Accessories - Charger and Pouch - Dugbe and Lagos Computer Village

In Dugbe, many drivers need a car charger. In Lagos Computer Village, phone pouches move fast.


Breakdown:

- 10 pieces phone charger (fast charge) x ₦1,200 = ₦12,000

- 15 pieces phone pouch (universal) x ₦400 = ₦6,000

- Small tray and polybag = ₦2,000


Total = ₦20,000.


You sell chargers ₦1,800 each (profit ₦600 x 10 = ₦6,000). Pouches sell ₦700 each (profit ₦300 x 15 = ₦4,500). If you sell it all in 2 weeks, profit ₦10,500. This is what I see in Dugbe.

3. Car Interior Cleaning and Polish - Ibadan Dugbe (My Area)

Since I wash cars, I see this opportunity. Many car washes only wash outside. Interior cleaning pays more.


Breakdown:

- Vacuum cleaner small (tokunbo) = ₦12,000

- Dashboard polish and brush = ₦4,000

- Air freshener 6 pieces x ₦500 = ₦3,000

- Towel 2 pieces = ₦1,000


Total = ₦20,000.


Charge: Interior cleaning ₦2,000 per car. If you clean 3 cars daily = ₦6,000. Even 2 cars = ₦4,000. This uses your existing car wash customers.

4. Data Reselling Business - Works in Ibadan and Lagos

This is an online business. No shop needed. I learned this from seminars.


Breakdown:

- Register with data reseller platform = ₦2,000

- Buy 100GB data for resale = ₦15,000

- Flyer and WhatsApp advert = ₦3,000


Total = ₦20,000.


Sell 1GB for ₦350 (you buy for ₦250). Profit ₦100 per GB. 100GB = ₦10,000 profit. Students in UI and Yaba need this daily.

5. Okrika (Thrift) - Belt and Cap - Observed in Lagos Yaba

In Yaba market Lagos, I observed this business. In Ibadan at Dugbe and Mokola, it also works.


Breakdown:

- 20 pieces  belts x ₦500 = ₦10,000

- 20 pieces face caps x ₦400 = ₦8,000

- Transport from market = ₦2,000


Total = ₦20,000.


Sell belts ₦1,000 each (profit ₦500 x 20 = ₦10,000). Cap sold ₦800 each (profit ₦400 x 20 = ₦8,000). Total profit if sold = ₦18,000. You need a good eye to select.

6. Mini Snacks - Puff Puff and Buns - Ibadan

Women in Dugbe make this daily. Men also do.


Breakdown:

- Flour half bag = ₦8,000

- Oil 3 litres = ₦5,000

- Sugar, yeast, butter = ₦4,000

- Gas and packaging nylon = ₦3,000


Total = ₦20,000.


Make 100 puff puff, sell ₦50 each = ₦5,000 daily. Profit about ₦2,000 daily after cost. In 10 days you recover capital. This business needs to be early in the morning.

7. Cleaning Services for Small Shops - Ibadan and Lagos

In Dugbe, many shops need morning cleaning before opening. In Lagos, offices in Ikeja need it.


Breakdown:

- Mop and bucket = ₦6,000

- Detergent and disinfectant = ₦5,000

- Brush and packer = ₦3,000

- Uniform and ID card = ₦3,000

- Flyers = ₦3,000


Total = ₦20,000.


Charge ₦1,500 per shop weekly for 3 shops = ₦4,500 weekly = ₦18,000 monthly. You work in the morning only.

How to Choose Which One to Start

If you are in Ibadan like me, start with 1, 2, 3, 6. You see customers daily at Dugbe park. If you are in Lagos, 2, 4, 5, 7 move faster because of the population.


Do not start all 7 at once. Pick one. Use the correct breakdown. Do not borrow from tool money. Keep separate as I taught in POST 1.


My advice: Start with a business that matches what you already see daily. For me, car interior cleaning made sense because I already wash cars. For you, if you are a student, data reselling makes sense.


Start small. ₦20,000 can become ₦40,000 in one month if you are consistent. Then you can save ₦500 daily as taught in POST 1 and invest ₦5,000 in Treasury Bills as I will teach in POST 4.


Which of these 7 will you start? Comment below.

FAQ

Q: I live in Ibadan but not Dugbe, will it work?

A: Yes. Mokola, Bodija, Ojoo - same system. People need water, phone charger, and cleaning.

Q: I have only ₦10,000 not ₦20,000?

A: Start with half. For pure water business, start with 2 bags and a small cooler. Grow from there.


I am still learning about business. Everything here is from my daily work in Dugbe car wash park and from what I observed in Lagos markets. I am not an expert, do your own research.


Thank you for reading Investment4Business. God bless our hustle.



No comments:

Post a Comment