![]() |
My name is Oluwamuyiwa Olusanya. I am a car washer in Dugbe, Ibadan, Oyo State. I started this work on May 4th 2025 after closing my barbershop in 2024. Some days I make ₦5,000. Some days it rains from morning till night and I make ₦0. No salary alert. No fixed amount.
If you are reading this and your income is like mine - daily, weekly, not monthly - this post is for you. Salary earners have it easy.
Their money enters on the 30th. But for hustlers, income is irregular. Today plenty, tomorrow nothing. How do you manage money when you don't know how much will enter tomorrow?
For one year I failed. I fixed all the money together. I spent too much money on food. I spent money on data. By month end I was broke. Then I learned 5 rules from my own mistakes and from attending investment seminars three times in Ibadan. These 5 rules reduced my money stress.
RULE 1: SEPARATE YOUR MONEY IMMEDIATELY YOU COLLECT IT
This is the most important rule that saved me.
Before, when a customer paid me ₦2,000 for a car wash, I put all ₦2,000 in one pocket. At night I thought I was rich. I used it to buy suya, data, and give money to friends. The next morning, I had no money to buy soap and fuel for water.
Now I separate immediately into 3 parts.
Part 1: Tool Money - This is not my profit. This is business capital. For me it is soap, sponge, water, and transport to the park. I keep about 30% for tools. If I make ₦5,000 in a day, ₦1,500 goes to tool money. If I spend the money on tools, tomorrow I cannot work.
Part 2: House Money - This is for survival. Food, NEPA bill, water, rent contribution, family support. About 50% goes here. From ₦5,000, ₦2,500 goes to the house.
Part 3: Save Money - Even if it is just ₦200. I hide it in a separate Opay wallet I call Future. From ₦5,000, I save ₦1,000. Last month my phone charger got spoiled. That daily ₦200 saved for 15 days gave me ₦3,000 to buy a new charger without borrowing.
Lesson: If you mix all money together, you will think you are rich and spend everything. Separate first.
RULE 2: PAY FOR TOOLS FIRST BEFORE ANY FLEXING
In Ibadan, NEPA and bad tools can waste your money double.
My story: My phone charger got spoiled because NEPA brought high current. I had ₦4,000. I was tempted to buy a new charger first for ₦3,500. But I remembered, if NEPA spoils this new one again, I will lose again. So I used ₦3,500 to buy a voltage guard first, then used the remaining to buy a small charger.
Same for hustle. If you are a car washer, buy soap and bucket first before buying clothes. If you are a tailor, buy thread and needle first. If you are a blogger, buy data and power banks first. Tools first, flex later.
RULE 3: SAVE A FIXED AMOUNT DAILY, NOT MONTHLY
Salary earners save monthly. Hustlers must save daily or weekly because income is irregular.
I save ₦500 every working day, Monday to Friday, except for emergencies. Let us do correct maths.
₦500 x 5 days = ₦2,500 per week.
₦2,500 x 4 weeks = ₦10,000 per month.
₦10,000 x 12 months = ₦120,000 per year.
Even on days I make only ₦1,500, I still remove ₦200 first. That is discipline. The amount is small but the habit is big. Saving ₦200 daily for 30 days = ₦6,000. That ₦6,000 can pay for one emergency and stop you from borrowing.
I save because I know I may not want to depend on casual work forever. My goal is to build a stable future.
RULE 4: TRACK EVERY NAIRA FOR 7 DAYS
For 7 days, write every ₦100 you spend. Pure water ₦50, gala ₦200, data ₦500, bet ₦300. Use a small notebook.
After 7 days, you will shock yourself. When I did it, I found my leakage was MTN data at night and a small small dash to friends. I was spending ₦800 daily without knowing. I cut it to ₦300.
Tracking is not punishment. It is a mirror. It shows you where your money goes.
RULE 5: BUILD EMERGENCY FUND OF ₦10,000 FIRST
Before investing, before big business, build a small emergency fund.
Many hustlers invest ₦5,000 and when emergency comes, they withdraw it with loss. Better to have ₦10,000 locked somewhere for emergency only. Touch it only when the tool breaks or sickness.
How to build it? Save ₦200 daily for 50 days = ₦10,000. Keep it in PiggyVest Safelock or at home in a locked box.
My emergency fund saved me twice. Once when my bucket broke, once when I needed transport for a family issue.
CONCLUSION
Managing money on irregular income is not about a big salary. It is about the system.
From May 2025 till now, my income is still irregular. But with these 5 rules - separate money immediately, pay tools first, save fixed daily, track every naira, build an emergency fund - I am no longer borrowing for food by the 18th.
You can start today. If you make ₦2,000 today, separate it now. Save ₦200 now.
If you are a young Nigerian hustler trying to survive, save, start something small, this blog is for you.
Investment4Business is where I share real experiences from a car wash park in Dugbe, lessons from seminars, and my journey learning about the Nigerian stock market as a small shareholder.
I am still learning. I am not a financial expert. Always do your own research.
What is your biggest challenge with irregular income? Comment below and I will reply.
FAQ
Q: I make ₦1,000 daily only. Can I still save?
A: Yes. Save ₦100 daily. ₦100 x 30 = ₦3,000. Start small.
Q: Should I save in the bank or at home?
A: Use Opay or PiggyVest separate wallet. At home you will spend it.

No comments:
Post a Comment