Many Nigerians think Treasury Bills are only for rich people with millions. I thought so too until I attended investment seminars three times in Ibadan in 2025. That was when I learned that with ₦5,000 you can start.
My name is Oluwamuyiwa Olusanya. I am a car washer in Dugbe, Ibadan. I started Investment4Business in 2026 because I wanted to share practical money lessons from everyday life. I am not a financial expert.
I am still learning about investing and I became a shareholder through a licensed brokerage account and registered as a trader on the platform. Today I will share how I invested ₦5,000 in Treasury Bills with correct steps and correct maths.
What are Treasury Bills?
Treasury Bills is a loan you give to the Federal Government of Nigeria. The government borrows your money for 91 days, 182 days, or 364 days and pays you interest upfront. It is considered safe because the government promises to pay back.
Example: You give the government ₦5,000 for 91 days (3 months). The government pays you interest first, then returns your ₦5,000 after 91 days.
Why I Chose Treasury Bills With Small Money
As a car washer earning irregular income, I needed a place to keep my emergency fund that would not tempt me to spend it. Saving ₦500 daily gave me ₦10,000 (as taught in POST 3). I used ₦5,000 for an emergency fund and invested ₦5,000 in Treasury Bills.
Three reasons:
1. Safe: Government will pay back.
2. Locked: For 91 days you cannot touch it anyhow, so you discipline yourself.
3. Small start: You can start with ₦5,000 through some banks and fintech apps, unlike before when it was ₦100,000 minimum.
How I Invest ₦5,000 - Step by Step From Ibadan
Step 1: I Opened Brokerage Account
I went to my bank in Dugbe (you can use GTB, First Bank, Stanbic IBTC, or fintech like Cowrywise, Trove). I said I want to buy Treasury Bills. They asked for a BVN, ID card, and passport photo. I registered as a trader on their platform. This took 2 days.
Step 2: I Checked Current Rate
Treasury Bills rate changes every 2 weeks. When I invested in early 2026, the rate for 91 days was about 12% per year. For 364 days it was about 18% per year.
Let us use 12% for 91 days to do correct maths.
Step 3: I Calculated Correct Profit - Correct Maths
This is where many articles get maths wrong. Treasury Bills use discounts.
Formula: Interest = Principal x Rate x Days / 365
For ₦5,000, 12% rate, 91 days:
Interest = 5,000 x 0.12 x 91 / 365
Interest = 5,000 x 0.12 = 600
600 x 91 = 54,600
54,600 / 365 = ₦149.59
So profit is about ₦150 for 91 days.
That means:
- You pay ₦4,850.41 (because government gives you interest upfront)
- After 91 days, government returns ₦5,000
- Your profit = ₦149.59
If you do 364 days at 18%:
Interest = 5,000 x 0.18 x 364 / 365 = 5,000 x 0.18 = 900, 900 x 364 = 327,600 / 365 = ₦897.53 profit.
So ₦5,000 becomes ₦5,897 after 1 year at 18%.
This is correct maths. No fake ₦1,000 profit in 91 days.
Step 4: I Transferred Money
Through my bank app, I transferred ₦5,000 to the Treasury Bills account. I received a confirmation email.
Step 5: I Waited 91 Days
For 91 days I did not touch it. I continued washing cars in Dugbe. After 91 days, the alert entered: ₦5,000 credited back plus I had already received ₦149 interest upfront.
What I Learned After First Investment
1. Treasury Bills are not for the quick rich. ₦5,000 gives ₦150 in 3 months. That is small but safe. Better than leaving ₦5,000 at home where you will spend it.
2. Re-invest: After 91 days, I re-invested ₦5,000 again plus profit ₦150. After one year, my ₦5,000 grew small.
3. Combine with emergency fund: I keep emergency fund ₦10,000 (POST 1) separate. Treasury Bills are for money I don't need for 3 months.
Treasury Bills vs Saving at Home
Saving ₦5,000 at home: After 91 days, still ₦5,000, and you may have spent ₦2,000.
Treasury Bills ₦5,000: After 91 days, ₦5,000 + ₦150 interest = ₦5,150, and you cannot spend it anyhow.
Which is better? Treasury Bills for discipline.
How to Start With ₦5,000 in 2026 - What You Need
- BVN
- Valid ID
- Bank account or fintech app that offers Treasury Bills (Cowrywise, Trove, Stanbic IBTC, etc.)
- ₦5,000 minimum (some banks still require ₦100,000 - ask for fintech that allows ₦5,000)
Go to your bank in Ibadan or Lagos and ask: "Do you allow ₦5,000 Treasury Bills investment through your app?" If they say no, try the Cowrywise app.
FAQ
Q: Are Treasury Bills safe?
A: It is considered one of safest in Nigeria because the Federal Government backs it. But always do your own research and seek professional advice.
Q: Can I withdraw before 91 days?
A: No. That is the discipline. Your money is locked for 91 days. That is why it helps hustlers not to spend.
Q: I am a car washer like you, should I invest all my savings in Treasury Bills?
A: No. Keep emergency funds first. Invest only money you don't need for 3 months. I invest ₦5,000 only, not all my savings.
Q: You attended seminars three times, what did you learn?
A: I learned that investing is not a quick way to become rich. It is a slow way to grow small money with discipline. I am still learning.
Conclusion
I started as a car washer at a public park in Dugbe on May 4th 2025 after closing my barbershop in 2024. I started Investment4Business in 2026 to share practical lessons about money, small business, and investing from an ordinary Nigerian perspective.
My first Treasury Bills investment was ₦5,000. Profit was only ₦150 in 91 days. Small but real. It taught me discipline. Now I save ₦500 daily, keep an emergency fund, and invest small through licensed brokerage.
You can start too with ₦5,000. Don't wait for millions.
If this post helped you understand Treasury Bills with correct maths, share to WhatsApp group and Facebook. Someone in Ibadan or Lagos may need this.
Thank you for reading Investment4Business. God bless our hustle. I am not a financial adviser, do your own research.
Contact me: WhatsApp https://wa.link/5tek3 Email Investment4Business.ng@gmail.com

No comments:
Post a Comment