expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Mistake 5: Using Debt for Lifestyle - How Loan Apps Almost Finished Me in Nigeria 2026



May 2026


My phone rang. Unknown number. 

"Hello Oluwamuyiwa, your loan of ₦10,000 is due today."


My heart sank. 


I borrowed that ₦10,000 2 weeks ago. Not for business. Not for investment. 

I used it to buy data and cook stew. 


By the time I paid back ₦12,000, my salary had already entered and finished.


That was Mistake 5: Using Debt for Lifestyle.


I thought loan apps like FairMoney, PalmPay, Carbon were "help". 

But they were traps.


If you’re using loan apps to buy food, clothes, iPhone, or "catch cruise", this post is for you. It might save you from the shame I felt.

Section 1: Why Debt for Lifestyle is Dangerous

Egbon, debt is not bad. But debt for lifestyle will kill you in Nigeria 2026.

1. Interest Eats Your Salary 

Borrow ₦10,000, pay back ₦12,000 in 14 day*. 

That’s 20% interest. 


Show me one business in Nigeria that gives 20% profit in 14 days? None. So you’re working to pay interest, not to grow.


2. It Becomes Addiction 

First you borrow ₦5k to pay last loan. 

Next you borrow ₦10k to buy food. 

Next you borrow ₦15k for birthday. 


Before you know it, 4 loan apps are calling you morning, afternoon, night. 

Your phone becomes a torture device.


3. It Kills Your Peace

Every bank alert makes your heart beat fast. "Is it loan app?" You can’t sleep. You can’t plan. You start hiding from people.


The Rule: Debt should build asset, not buy pepper and bread. 

Borrow to buy goods to sell. Borrow for hospital. Don’t borrow to impress.

Section 2: How Loan App Almost Finished Me

April 2026. 


Salary was late. I was ashamed to ask friends again. So I did what many Nigerians do: I downloaded loan apps.


First loan: ₦5,000. I used it for transport + food for 1 week.  


Second loan: ₦10,000. I used it to "catch cruise" with friends so I won’t look broke. I posted pictures. I bought drinks. I looked rich.


2 weeks later: ₦17,000 to pay back. 

My salary was ₦120,000. After rent ₦40k, food ₦25k, NEPA ₦15k... nothing remained.

I started hiding my phone. BI started lying

"Network is bad". "I’ll send you later". 


I’m 42 years old. But I was acting like student running from debt. That day I deleted all loan apps and cried. I said: "Oluwamuyiwa, if you don’t have it, don’t spend it."

Section 3: 3 Rules to Borrow Without Destroying Yourself

If you must borrow, follow these 3 rules.


RULE 1: Borrow Only for Business or Emergency  

Good debt: Borrow ₦50k to buy goods you’ll resell and make ₦70k.

Good debt: Borrow for hospital or rent when salary is delayed. 

Bad debt: Borrow for birthday party. Borrow for iPhone 15. Borrow for club.  

If it won’t bring money back, don’t borrow.


RULE 2: Know Your Payback Plan Before You Collect

Before you click "Collect Loan", ask: 

"If I borrow ₦20,000 today, where will ₦24,000 come from in 30 days?"


If you don’t have a clear answer, don’t collect. Hope is not a plan. "Salary will enter" is not a plan.


RULE 3: Build an Emergency Fund to Kill Loan Temptation 

Remember Mistake 3? Emergency Fund.  

Save ₦5,000 monthly. In 4 months you’ll have ₦20,000


That ₦20,000 is your "loan app without interest" When wahala comes, use it. Pay yourself back later.


BONUS: If you’re already trapped  

1. Call the loan app and beg for extension. Many will agree.

2. Block new borrowing. Delete the apps.

3. Pay smallest debt first. One by one. Don’t borrow to pay loan.

Section 4: Your Action Plan This Week

Do this today. Don’t procrastinate.


1. Today: Delete loan apps you don’t need. Keep 0-1 only. Or delete all.

2. This Month: Write down *every debt* you owe. Amount + due date. 

Pay the smallest one first. Small win gives you strength.

3. New Rule: 30-day waiting period. 

If you want to borrow for lifestyle, wait 30 days. 90% of the time, you won’t want it again.

FAQ

Q: Is it bad to borrow money at all?

A: No. Borrow to invest in business. Borrow for real emergency. Don’t borrow to impress people on Instagram.


Q: What if I can’t pay back?

A: Call them early. Don’t hide. Negotiate payment plan. Then focus on side hustle to pay. Don’t borrow new loan to pay old loan. That’s a circle.


Q: Loan apps keep calling me. What do I do?

A: Block the number. Change your SIM if needed. Focus on paying. Shame will pass. Debt won’t if you keep borrowing.

Conclusion

May 2026: ₦10,000 loan for stew became ₦12,000 stress. June 2026: No loan. Peace of mind. Even with small money.


Egbon and Sister, loan apps are not your friend. They are business. If you don’t have cash, wait. Save. Hustle. Don’t sell your peace for ₦10,000.


I’m Oluwamuyiwa from Ibadan. Loan apps taught me a bitter lesson. Don’t learn it the hard way like me.


Comment Below: Are you owing any loan app now? Be free. No judgment here. Let’s talk solution in comments. We’ll help each other.


If this post saved you, share it. Someone is about to download loan app for iPhone. God will provide for you. And God will bless the work of your hands 🙏


Dont Miss:

Mistake 4: No Side Hustle - Why one Salary Will Keep You Broke in Nigeria 2026



No comments:

Post a Comment