Egbon and Sister, if someone told me 2 years ago that I could lend money to the Federal Government of Nigeria with just ₦5,000, I would not believe it. But in 2026, it’s possible.
Treasury Bills, or T-Bills, are one of the safest ways to grow your small money in Nigeria. I decided to try it myself because I was tired of leaving money in my bank account doing nothing.
In this post, I will show you exactly how I invested ₦5,000 in Nigerian Treasury Bills in 2026. No big grammar. Just step by step, the way I did it. If I can do it, you can do it too.
1. What are Nigerian Treasury Bills?
Simple. Treasury Bills are how the Federal Government borrows money from people like you and me for a short time.
When you buy a T-Bill, you are lending money to FG. In return, FG promises to pay you back with interest after 91 days, 182 days, or 364 days.
Why is it safe? Because it’s backed by the Federal Government. The risk of FG not paying is very low. That’s why banks and big companies also invest in it.
The problem before was that the minimum was ₦50,000. But in 2026, some apps now allow you to start with as low as ₦5,000.
2. Requirements to Invest ₦5,000 in T-Bills in 2026
Before you start, get these 4 things ready:
1.BVN: Your Bank Verification Number. This is a must.
2.Active Bank Account: Any Nigerian bank will work.
3. ₦5,000 minimum: This is the amount I started with.
4. Email address and Phone number: For alerts and statements.
That’s all. No office visit. You can do everything on your phone.
3. Step by Step: How I Invested My ₦5,000
I used investment apps because CBN direct is still mostly for big amounts. The 2 apps I trust are InvestNow and Chaka. I used InvestNow for this ₦5,000 test.
Step 1: Download the App and Register
I went to Play Store and downloaded InvestNow. I signed up with my name, email, and phone number.
Step 2: Complete KYC with BVN
The app asked me to verify my identity. I entered my BVN and took a selfie. It took about 10 minutes to approve. This is to make sure it’s really me.
Step 3: Fund My Wallet with ₦5,000
I clicked Fund Wallet band transferred ₦5,000 from my bank app to the account number the app gave me. The money showed in my InvestNow wallet in 5 minutes.
Step 4: Buy the Treasury Bill
I clicked on "Treasury Bills". I chose the 91-day option because I wanted to see results fast. I entered ₦5,000 and clicked "Invest". The app showed me the expected interest before I confirmed.
Step 5: Wait for Maturity
Now I just wait. The app shows me a countdown. After 91 days, my ₦5,000 + interest will automatically go back to my wallet. Then I can withdraw to my bank.
4. How Much Interest Will ₦5,000 Give Me?
This is what everyone wants to know
T-Bill rates change every week. When I invested, the rate for 91 days was around 18% per year.
So for ₦5,000 for 91 days: ₦5,000 x 18% x 91/365 = around ₦225 interest.
So after 3 months, I will get back roughly ₦5,225.
It’s not a lot, but the goal is to start small and be consistent. If I invest ₦5,000 every month, in 1 year I’ll have ₦60,000 + interest working for me.
5. Risks and My Honest Opinion
Is it 100% risk-free? Nothing in life is 100%. But T-Bills are the closest thing in Nigeria. The FG has never defaulted on T-Bills.
My honest advice:
1. Don’t put all your money here. This is for the money you don’t need urgently.
2. Use only legit apps. Don’t fall for "double your money in 7 days" scams.
3.Start small to test. That’s why I started with ₦5,000.
For me, I like it because my money is safe and it’s earning more than my savings account.
Conclusion: Start Small, Be Consistent
Egbon, you don’t need millions to start investing. ₦5,000 today can become ₦50,000 later if you keep going.
Treasury Bills are perfect for beginners in 2026 because they are safe and simple. Download a trusted app, do your KYC, and start with what you have.
Have you tried investing in T-Bills before? Or do you have questions? Drop them in the comments below or use my Contact Page. Let’s learn together.
God bless the work of your hands.
Read Next: How to Manage Money as a Young Hustler in Ibadan

No comments:
Post a Comment