expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Menus

Mistake 3: No Emergency Fund - How One NEPA Bill Finished My ₦120k Salary in Nigeria 2026




February 2026


Monday: NEPA brought "estimated bill" ₦18,500. 


Wednesday: My tooth swelled like ball. Hospital + drugs = ₦12,000.


My salary was ₦120,000


By Friday, I checked my account: ₦2,000

I had to borrow money from my friend to buy garri and beans.


That was Mistake 3: No Emergency Fund


Egbon, I had a budget. I was saving 20%. But I had zero money for "wahala days".


If one bill can break you, your money plan is weak.


Today I’ll show you how I built a ₦10,000 emergency fund in 30 days, even on small salary. And how you can do it too in Nigeria 2026.


Section 1: What is an Emergency Fund?


Emergency fund = Money for trouble ONLY

Not for rent. Not for food. Not for "I want to chill". 

For wahala. For unexpected.


For Nigerians in 2026, "emergency" means:


1. Health Wahala: Hospital, drugs, lab test, swollen toe, malaria, typhoid. Like my tooth that week 

2. House Wahala: NEPA estimated bill, burst pipe, generator spoilt, landlord say "pack out" 

3. Work Wahala: Phone spoilt, bike accident, transport strike, you missed 3 days of car wash


The Big Rule: Financial experts say save 3 months of your needs. 

If you need ₦30,000 to survive 1 month, your target = ₦90,000.


But Egbon, don’t panic. We won’t start with ₦90,000. 

We’ll start with ₦10,000 first. A small target you can see and touch. Small win builds big muscle.


Section 2: How One Wahala Finished My Money


Before Mistake 3, my plan looked perfect:

Salary → 50% Needs → 30% Wants → 20% Savings.


I was proud of myself.


Then wahala came.


₦18,500 NEPA bill came. Where did I take the money from? My 20% savings. 

Vanished in 1 day. My "future goals" money gone.


Next week, tooth pain. Where did I take ₦12,000 from? My food money

Now I was broke AND sick.


That week I learned something painful: 

Budget + Savings alone is NOT enough


Because my savings was for "future" - new phone, business. 

But I needed money for "today wahala".


It’s like having water in your big tank, but no cup in the kitchen when you’re thirsty.


March 2026 I opened a new PiggyVest target. 

I named it "EMERGENCY ONLY - DO NOT TOUCH". 

I locked it so I can’t withdraw anyhow. Because if I can withdraw in 2 taps, I will spend it 


Section 3: How I Saved ₦10,000 in 30 Days on ₦120k Salary


You don’t need millions. You need method.


STEP 1: Separate the Money on Purpose

I looked at my 50-30-20 plan and said "I need to adjust".


I took ₦5,000 from my 20% savings and said "this is for emergency". 

I added ₦5,000 from my 30% wants money

Total = ₦10,000 on Day 1.


Now I had 3 accounts: Needs, Wants, Savings, and Emergency.


STEP 2: Use "Bad Market" Method

This is my secret weapon.


Every day I didn’t buy pure water ₦100, I transferred ₦100 to Emergency.

Every day I didn’t buy snacks ₦200, I transferred ₦200 to Emergency. 

Every day I walked instead of bike ₦300, I transferred ₦300.


₦200 x 30 days = ₦6,000

Add it to the first ₦10,000 = ₦16,000 in 30 days.


The money was small daily, but it piled up. 


STEP 3: Lock it and Forget it

This is the most important. 


I used PiggyVest lock for 90 days. You can use Kuda Safelock or Opay Target.

If the money is easy to access, you’ll spend it for data or shawarma.


The Test: 

In April, my friend’s wife needed drugs. ₦3,000.

Before, I would borrow and be stressed. 

This time, I opened "Emergency Only" and paid. 

I didn’t borrow. I felt like a king. That’s peace.


Section 4: Your Action Plan This Month


Do this today. Don’t wait.


1.Today: Open PiggyVest, Kuda, or Opay. Create "Emergency" target. Put ₦500 or ₦1,000 inside now. Start the jar.

2. Payday: Split your 20% savings → 10% Emergency + 10% Future Savings. So both are growing.

3. The Rule: Never touch Emergency for data, clothes, or outings. Only hospital, NEPA, phone repair, or job loss.


Comment Below: What wahala has broken you before? 

NEPA, hospital, or phone? Tell us in comments. Let’s talk and learn from each other.


FAQ

Q: My salary is ₦30,000. Can I do this?

A: YES! Start with *₦2,000 emergency. Small money still protects you. ₦2,000 can buy drugs or fuel generator 1 day.


Q: Is emergency fund different from savings?
*  

A: YES 100%

- Savings = Future goals. Business, house, school. 

- Emergency = Today wahala. Hospital, NEPA. 

Keep them separate or you’ll finish both.


Q: What if I use emergency and it finishes?

A: Good! That’s what it’s for. Then start building it again next month. That’s why we call it a fund, not a one-time thing.


Conclusion

February 2026: One NEPA + One hospital = ₦2,000 left. I was borrowing.


April 2026: Same wahala came, but I had Emergency money. I was peaceful.


Egbon and Sister, wahala will come. It’s Nigeria. NEPA won’t warn you. Hospital won’t call you.


The question is: Will you be ready?


Don’t wait for ₦90,000. Start with ₦500 today.


I’m Oluwamuyiwa from Ibadan.  Light came, blog is back, and my emergency fund is growing


If this post saved you stress, *share it with your WhatsApp group*. Someone is borrowing right now because of one bill.


God will protect you from wahala. And God will bless the work of your hands.


No comments:

Post a Comment