![]() |
| Saving small as a hustler in Ibadan |
My name is Oluwamuyiwa and I wash cars in Dugbe, Ibadan.
Some days I make ₦5,000.
Some days rain falls, no customer comes, and I make ₦0.
If you’re like me — young, hustling, and tired of "money no dey" — this post is for you.
Salary people have it easy. Money enters every month 30th.
But for us hustlers, income is irregular. Today plenty, tomorrow nothing.
This is how I’m learning to manage money on irregular income in Ibadan 2026.
No big grammar. Just 4 rules that are keeping me afloat.
RULE 1: SEPARATE YOUR MONEY IMMEDIATELY
This is the #1 rule that saved me.
The moment customer pays me cash, I don’t put all in one pocket.
I separate it into 3 places immediately:
1. Car Wash Money
For soap, water, transport, brush.
This one no be my money. If I spend it, tomorrow I can’t work.
2. House Money
For food, light, rent, family.
This one feeds me.
3. Save Money
Even if it’s just ₦200. I hide it.
Last month my phone charger spoiled. That ₦200 x 15 days = ₦3,000 saved me.
Lesson: If you mix all money together, you’ll think you’re rich and spend everything.
Separate first. Thank me later.
RULE 2: PAY "TOOLS FIRST" BEFORE ANYTHING
In Ibadan, NEPA and bad tools can waste your money.
My story: My phone charger spoiled. I was tempted to buy new charger first.
But I remembered: If NEPA spoils this new one, I’ll suffer again.
So I bought ₦3,500 voltage guard first. Then I bought charger.
Lesson: If your tool is broken, you can’t work.
Car wash boy: buy soap, bucket, sponge first.
Blogger: buy data, power bank first.
Tailor: buy thread, needle first.
Tools First, Flex Later.
RULE 3: SAVE SMALL, SAVE DAILY
Egbon, don’t wait for ₦10,000 before you save. You’ll wait forever.
Save ₦200 or ₦500 daily.
- ₦200 x 30 days = ₦6,000
- ₦500 x 30 days = ₦15,000
Use piggy bank. Use PiggyVest. Or just hide it in a book.
Banks are fine, but discipline is better.
On days I make ₦0, I don’t save. No problem.
On days I make ₦5,000, I save ₦500.
Small small, it becomes big money.
RULE 4: AVOID "EMERGENCY" THAT ARE NOT EMERGENCY
We hustlers like to deceive ourselves.
Not emergency:
New clothes. Latest iPhone. Club. Big data subscription. "I just want to chill".
Real emergency:
You’re sick. Your tool spoiled. Rent is due. Family needs food.
My rule: If it won’t help me make money tomorrow, it can wait.
That ₦2,000 you want to use for club? Keep it. Next week when rain chases customers, you’ll use it to buy food.
MY IBADAN HUSTLE STORY
Last month:
Monday ₦5,000. Tuesday ₦0 because of rain. Wednesday ₦3,000.
If I had spent everything on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday I would suffer.
But because I separated money and saved small, I survived.
Hustling in Ibadan is not easy.
Transport is high. Customers bargain. Rain is enemy.
But it’s possible to manage.
FAQ
Q: What if I don’t make any money for 1 week?
A: That’s why you saved small before. Use your "Save Money" to buy food. Then go back and hustle harder.
Q: Should I open bank account?
A: Yes, but don’t wait for bank. Start with piggy bank today. When it gets to ₦10k, take it to bank.
Q: How do I avoid borrowing?
A: Follow Rule 3. Save small daily. That’s your own "loan app" without interest.
FINAL WORD
Dear readers, listen:
Manage small money well, and big money will find you.
Don’t despise ₦200. Don’t say it’s too small. That ₦200 is the seed of ₦200,000.
4 Rules Again:
1. Separate Your Money Immediately
2. Pay Tools First
3. Save Small, Save Daily
4. Avoid Fake Emergency
I’m Oluwamuyiwa from Dugbe, Ibadan. Car wash boy and blogger. If I can manage ₦0 - ₦5,000 days, you can manage yours.
God bless our hustle 🙏 He sees your work.
Comment Below: Which of these 4 rules do you struggle with most?
Let’s help each other 👇
Tag a fellow hustler in Ibadan that needs to see this.

No comments:
Post a Comment