Tuesday

Signs You Are Good at Hustling but Bad at Keeping Money in Nigeria


Some days, you make ₦3,000. Other days, you make ₦7,000.

You work hard. You wake up early, look for customers, serve people, and do whatever honest work you can find.


But when you check your account at the end of the month, you ask yourself:

Where did all the money go?”

I understand that feeling.


I have spent time doing casual work, including car washing, and I also experienced the disappointment of my barbershop closing in 2024. Those experiences taught me something important about money.


Making money and keeping money are two different skills.


You can be very good at hustling and still struggle financially if you don't learn how to manage what you earn.


If you do POS, delivery, barbing, car washing, okada, trading, or another daily hustle in Nigeria, here are 6 signs that you may be good at making money but not yet good at keeping it.


1. Your Hustle Money Comes In, but Your Pocket Is Still Empty

This is one of the easiest signs to notice.


You work Monday to Saturday. Money enters your account almost every day. But somehow, by the end of the week, you have little or nothing left.


Maybe you make ₦3,000 today.


Tomorrow, you make ₦5,000.


Then you spend ₦1,000 here, ₦500 there, buy food, airtime, transport, or help someone.


Before you know it, the money is gone.


The problem isn't necessarily that you don't make enough.

Sometimes, you simply haven't developed the habit of keeping part of what you make.


How to Fix It: Pay Yourself First


Don't wait until the end of the day to see what is left.


Remove something first.


For example, if you make ₦5,000, you could put ₦500 aside before spending the rest.


That's the habit I am trying to build myself:

saving ₦500 from my working income instead of waiting for a large amount of money before I start saving.


The amount may look small, but the habit is more important.


2. You Cannot Explain Where Last Week's Money Went

Have you ever looked at your account and wondered:


“What did I even spend this money on?”


You remember buying food.


You remember paying for transport.


You bought airtime.


You gave somebody some money.


You bought a few small things.


But you don't remember exactly how much you spent.


Small expenses can become a big problem because they are easy to ignore.


₦200 doesn't look like much.


Neither does ₦500.


But several ₦200 and ₦500 expenses can quietly take a serious amount of money from your income.


How to Fix It: Track Your Money


You don't need expensive accounting software.


Use a small notebook or your phone.

Write down:

  • Money that comes in

  • Money you spend

  • What you spent it on

  • What you save

You don't have to make it complicated.


If you know where your money is going, you have a better chance of controlling it.


3. Every Alert Becomes an Excuse to Spend


This one can be difficult.


You receive an alert and immediately feel like rewarding yourself.


Maybe it's food.


Maybe it's a new shirt.


Maybe it's hanging out with friends.


Maybe you suddenly remember something you've wanted to buy.


There is nothing wrong with enjoying money you worked hard for.

The problem starts when every income becomes an opportunity to spend instead of an opportunity to build.

Remember, after today's hustle comes tomorrow's hustle.


How to Fix It: Create Your Own Hustler's Saving Rule


Before spending your income, remove a small percentage for yourself.


It could be 10%.


For example:

₦4,000 income → ₦400 saved.


If 10% is difficult at first, start with less.

The important thing is to create a system that you can actually maintain.


4. You Only Remember Saving When There Is an Emergency

Some people only start thinking about savings when something goes wrong.

Rent is due.


Your phone develops a problem.


Your bike needs repairs.


You become sick.


Business slows down.


Then you start looking for money.

That's stressful.


Saving shouldn't only happen when you are afraid of what might happen tomorrow.


How to Fix It: Build a Small Emergency Fund


You don't have to start with ₦100,000.

Start with a realistic target.


For example, make your first goal ₦10,000.


If you can save ₦500 at a time, keep going until you reach your target.


Then increase the target.


Keep this money separate from your normal spending money and only use it for genuine emergencies.


The goal is not to become rich overnight.

The goal is to stop every small emergency from becoming a financial crisis.


5. You Confuse Looking Successful With Being Financially Secure

This is another trap that is easy to fall into.


You want people to see that you are doing well.


So you buy something expensive.


You upgrade your phone.


You wear better clothes.


You spend money trying to look successful.


But behind the appearance, you may not have savings or money to improve your hustle.


There's nothing wrong with wanting nice things.


But ask yourself:

“Is this purchase helping me build my future, or am I buying it mainly to impress people?”


How to Fix It: Invest in Your Hustle


Before spending heavily on appearances, look at your business or hustle.


Can you buy better equipment?


Can you improve your workspace?


Can you buy something that will help you serve more customers?


Can you learn a skill that can increase your income?


Sometimes, the best thing you can do with extra money isn't buying something that looks good.

It is buying something that helps you make more money.


6. You Don't Have a Number for What “Enough” Means


This may be the biggest lesson for me.

If you don't have a financial target, you can keep hustling without knowing whether you're actually making progress.


You make ₦5,000 today.


Then you want ₦10,000.


You make ₦10,000.


Then you want ₦20,000.


There is always another number.

That's why you need to define what you're working toward.


How to Fix It: Set Your “Enough” Number


Ask yourself:

How much money do I need each month to cover my important expenses, save something, and keep improving my life?


For example, your target might be ₦100,000 per month.


Someone else may need ₦150,000.


Another person may need ₦200,000.


Your number doesn't have to be the same as someone else's.


Write your number down.


Then work backward.

How much do I need to make each week?

How many customers do I need?

What can I do to increase my income?


Now your hustle has a direction.


Final Thoughts


I am still learning.


I am not writing this as someone who has figured out everything about money.

I've made mistakes. I've had setbacks. I've worked different kinds of jobs, and I've learned that working hard alone is not enough.

You also need to learn how to manage what you earn.


That's one of the reasons I'm building Investment4Business — to share the lessons I'm learning about money, work, small business, and building something for the future.


One of the habits I'm currently working on is saving ₦500 from my working income instead of waiting until I have a large amount of money.


Small steps still count.


If you hustle every day but struggle to keep money, don't beat yourself up.

Start with one change.

Earn. Track. Save. Improve. Repeat.

Which of these 6 signs do you struggle with most?

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6?


Tell me in the comments. Let's learn from one another.

We're building our future one step at a time


Read Next:






No comments:

Post a Comment