expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

No Budget Mistake: How I Lost ₦50,000 in 2024 and Fixed It in 2026 | Nigeria Budget Guide



January 2024.. 


Alert: ₦120,000 salary credited


I was happy. This month will be different I told myself.


January 18th


Alert: Account balance ₦2,400.


Rent was paid. But food money? Borrowed

Transport to work? Begged my brother

I felt like a failure. Like my salary was cursed.


The problem was not my salary. 

The problem was NO BUDGET.


If you’re reading this from Ibadan, Lagos, Port Harcourt, or anywhere in Nigeria 202*, this post will save you from my mistake. 


Whether you collect salary on the 25th OR you make daily money from car wash, POS, or any business of your choice- if you don’t budget, your money will run.

Today I’ll show you the exact 3-step budget I now use before every salary enters. It saved me in 2026.

Section 1: What is “No Budget” and Why It Kills Salary


No budget” means money enters your account and you start spending as you see it. 

Danfo here ₦500. Data there ₦2,000. Shawarma because friend invited you ₦3,500. I’ll sort it later.


Why "No Budget" is dangerous in Nigeria 2026:


1. Inflation is eating us  

Rice that was ₦35,000 in 2024 is ₦55,000 now in 2026. Bread ₦1,200. Fuel ₦900+. 

Without a plan, ₦120,000 that used to last 1 month now finishes in 2 weeks. The money didn’t reduce. The value did.


2. Unexpected bills will humble you 

NEPA estimated bill ₦15,000. Hospital ₦8,000. Mama call: "Send me something". Family wedding Asoebi ₦20,000. 

If you have no budget, you will borrow. And borrowing in 2026 comes with 10% interest.


3. Stress and sleepless nights 

Not knowing if your salary will reach 30th is the worst stress. You’ll be calculating in your head at 2am. Will transport reach next week?


I lived it. Every month I would Google *salary management Nigeria* and "how to stop spending". 

People need solutions, not just complaints. That’s why I’m writing this.

Section 2: My 3-Step Budget That Saved Me in 2026


After I borrowed transport money 3 times in one month, I said "Enough". 

I developed this 3-step system. It’s simple. No Excel. No app.


STEP 1: Write “Must Pay First” Before Salary Enters

This is the most important step. Do it 2 days before payday. Take paper or your phone Notes. Write only 3 things:


1. Rent/House: ₦40,000 

2. Food: ₦25,000 

3. Transport: ₦10,000 


Total = ₦75,000


My salary is ₦120,000. So ₦120,000 - ₦75,000 = ₦45,000 left. That ₦45,000 is for Wants, Savings, and everything else. 


The rule: "Needs First". Food, House, Transport must be settled in your mind before the money enters. 

Data, outings, new shoes - those come AFTER.


For car wash people: Do this every Sunday night. "This week I must make ₦15,000 for food, ₦8,000 for transport". Write it first.


STEP 2: Use Cash Envelope or Transfer Trick

This is where 90% of people fail. The money is in one account so they mix it.  Once salary enters, use your phone immediately. Transfer the money:


- Food money ₦25,000 → Opay wallet named "FOOD ONLY"

- Transport ₦10,000 → Moniepoint account named "TRANSPORT ONLY"

- Rent ₦40,000 → Pay it or move to savings.


Why this works: When you open Opay and see FOOD ONLY ₦25,000, you will think twice before using it to buy data. Seeing separate balances creates discipline. Out of sight, out of mind.


STEP 3: Track for 7 Days - Find Your Money Leak

The first 7 days after salary is the hardest. This is where money disappears. For 7 days, write every ₦200 you spend in Notes app. Pure water ₦50. Gala ₦200. Airtime ₦500. Bike ₦300. After 7 days, check it. You’ll shock yourself.


My leak in 2024: Daily ₦500 snacks + ₦300 "just chilling" with guys = ₦5,600 per week! ₦22,400 per month gone. Once I saw it, I cut it. I started taking Gala from home.

Section 3: How to Apply This Week - Start Today

Your salary hasn’t entered yet? Perfect time to start.


1. Now: Open Notes app or get paper

2. Write your "3 Must Pay First": House, Food, Transport. Use your real numbers

3. Set up 2 wallets: Name one "Food Only" and one "Transport Only" on Opay


Even if you earn ₦30,000: This still works. Use percentages. ₦15,000 Needs, ₦9,000 Wants, ₦6,000 Savings. ₦6,000 savings is still a WIN.


Comment Below: What’s the hardest for you to budget? Food? Data? Outings? 

I’ll reply everyone with tips. Let’s help each other.


Remember: Even ₦500 savings counts. Don’t say "it’s too small". ₦500 x 30 days = ₦15,000.

Section 4: What If Emergency Comes?


Dear readers, emergency will come. It’s Nigeria. 

That’s exactly why *Step 2 and Step 3* are important.


When you separate money and track spending, you’ll find ₦1,000 - ₦2,000 to save monthly. Even ₦1,000 monthly = ₦12,000 in 1 year. That can buy drugs or fix bike. Don’t wait for "big emergency fund". Start with ₦500.

FAQ

Q: My salary is only ₦30k, will this work?  

A: YES 100%. Use 50% Needs, 30% Wants, 20% Savings. ₦6,000 savings monthly is ₦72,000 yearly. That’s school fees.

Q: What if emergency comes before I save? 

A: Use your "Wants" money first. If that finishes, borrow small and pay back from next month’s 20% savings. Don’t touch "Needs".

Q: I forget to track. What can I do? 

A: Set alarm 9pm daily. "Track money". Or use envelope. Put cash and write on the envelope.

Conclusion

January 2024: ₦120,000 finished in 18 days. I was borrowing. January 2026: Same salary, I saved ₦20,000 and still had food money. 


The difference? I stopped "No Budget" and started "Must Pay First". Dear readers,, your salary is not the problem. The plan is the problem. Don’t wait till next year. Start this month. Start this week. Start today.


I’m Oluwamuyiwa from Ibadan. I share money tips because I struggled too. If I can do it, you can do it.

If this post helped you, share it with your friend whose salary finishes early. Tag them below in the comment section. God will bless the work of your hands.


Read Next:


50-30-20 Rule Nigeria 2026: How I Stopped My Salary from Finishing Before Month End


No comments:

Post a Comment