I never planned to spend many years doing casual work. In 2024, my barbershop closed down. I needed another way to earn money, so I started working as a car washer with small capital.
It was not an easy change.
Some customers did not pay properly. Some tried to reduce what they owed me. I have also made my own mistakes when handling the money I earned.
But the experience has taught me something important:
Making money is not enough. You also need to learn how to manage the money you make.
I am still learning this myself, but these are five mistakes I am becoming more conscious of.
1. Waiting for a big opportunity instead of respecting small money
When money is not coming regularly, it can be tempting to think about the one big opportunity that will change everything. But I have learned that small money matters.
A small amount earned honestly today is better than waiting for money that may never come. As a car washer, every customer matters. Whether someone needs a smaller service or a bigger one, I have learned not to despise legitimate small earnings.
The lesson for me is simple:
Small money can become meaningful when you manage it consistently. I am also applying the same thinking to my online journey.
I am building my blog while continuing my car-washing work because I do not want to wait for one big miracle before I start building my future.
2. Spending everything because I earned it
When you work hard for your money, it is easy to feel that you deserve to spend it. Of course, we all have needs. I need money for food, transportation and other daily responsibilities.
But if every naira that comes in immediately goes out, tomorrow starts from zero again.
This is one reason I decided to develop a saving habit. I started putting ₦500 aside every working day from Monday to Friday, except when I have an emergency.
It may look small to someone earning much more, but for me the important thing is the discipline. I am teaching myself: Save something before the money disappears.
3. Not keeping track of money properly
I have made mistakes with money.
Sometimes the problem wasn't that I didn't work hard. The problem was that I didn't handle the money properly.
When you receive money from different customers, spend some of it, keep some somewhere else and don't record what happened, it can become difficult to know exactly where your money went.
I am learning to pay more attention to:
What I earn
What I spend
What I save
What I need to keep for emergencies
What I can use for building my future
You don't need to be a financial expert to start paying attention to your money.
You need to know what is happening to it.
4. Allowing customers to determine the value of your work
One difficult part of casual service work is dealing with customers. Most customers pay for the service they receive, but I have also experienced situations where someone did not want to pay properly or tried to cheat me out of money.
Those experiences taught me something:
Your work has value. Being humble does not mean allowing everybody to take advantage of you.
I am learning to communicate clearly about the price of my service before doing the work and to pay attention to the money I receive.
At the same time, I have learned not to let one bad customer make me disrespect the customers who treat me fairly.
5. Not preparing for the day when work is unavailable
Casual work can be uncertain.
You may work today and have fewer customers tomorrow. Something unexpected can also happen that requires money. That is why I believe every hustler needs some money set aside for emergencies.
This is one reason I started saving regularly instead of spending everything I earn. I call it my future and emergency money. I don't consider it ordinary spending money.
My bigger reason for saving is also that I know I don't want to depend on casual work forever.
While I continue washing cars to meet my present needs, I am also building Investment4Business and learning how to create income online. My goal is to eventually have a more stable and consistent source of income.
What I Am Doing Differently Now
I am not claiming that I have solved all my financial problems.
I am still learning.
But I am trying to follow a simple system:
Earn → take care of important needs → save something → learn → build another source of income.
The amount may be small.
The progress may be slow.
But I believe consistency is better than waiting for a miracle.
My Work Today Is Not My Final Destination
There was a time when I felt ashamed that, after owning a barbershop, I was now washing cars. But I have changed the way I look at it. There is nothing shameful about honest work.
I would rather work honestly today while preparing for a better tomorrow than sit at home because I am too proud to start again.That is also why I continue building my blog while working as a car washer.
My hands can work today while my mind builds for tomorrow. I don't know exactly when my online income will become steady. I am still working toward that goal. But I know I am doing something about it.
My Advice to Another Young Hustler
If your income is small or irregular, don't wait until you become rich before learning financial discipline.
• Start with what you have.
• Save something.
• Record your money.
• Avoid unnecessary spending.
• Protect yourself from emergencies.
And, if you don't want to depend on your current hustle forever, start building another skill, business or source of income while you still have today's income.
You don't have to change your life in one day. Small small, we go reach there.
This is not the advice of a financial expert. It is the experience of a hustler who is still learning. I am sharing the journey because I know there are other young Nigerians trying to do the same thing: survive today while building a better tomorrow.
Final Thought
My journey from a closed barbershop to casual car washing and blogging has taught me that your current situation does not have to be your final destination.
Don't be ashamed of honest work. Don't despise small money.And don't wait for your income to become big before you start managing it wisely. Start with what you have. Build from there.
Investment4Business — Real experiences, practical money lessons, and the journey toward better income.
Read Next:
How to Manage Money as a Young Hustler in Ibadan: Saving Small on Irregular Income 2026
7 Small Businesses You Can Start With ₦20,000 in Ibadan and Lagos in 2026

No comments:
Post a Comment