April 2026.
Alert: ₦120,000 salary credited.
What did I do?
I paid rent. Bought food. Paid data. Went out with friends twice. Bought new shirt.
May 1st.
I checked my account and said "Okay, now let me save".
Account balance: ₦3,100.
That was Mistake 2: Spending Before Saving.
I did this for 3 years. My account never grew past ₦20,000. Every month I started at zero.
If your savings is always *what remains", my regular reader(s), you’ll always have zero.
But in April 2026, I flipped it. Same ₦120,000 salary. I saved ₦24,000 and still lived well.
How? I stopped spending first. I started saving first.
This post will show you exactly how.
Section 1: What is "Spending Before Saving"?
Spending Before Saving is this thought in our head:
Salary don enter. Let me settle bills first. Let me enjoy small. Let me buy that thing. Then I’ll save the leftover.
Problem: In Nigeria 2026, leftover = ₦0 every time.
Why it doesn’t work here:
1. Inflation kills your plan
On the 5th, rice is ₦55,000. By 20th, it’s ₦58,000. Your leftover plan dies mid-month. Prices don’t wait for you.
2. Emergency will humble you
Friend calls: "Bro abeg help me". NEPA bill doubles. Hospital. Phone spoils.
If you didn’t save first, you’ll use all the money to solve it and still borrow.
3. You are human
After stress at work or car wash, you deserve small enjoyment. Shawarma, movie, new sneakers.
That small enjoyment is good, but it eats your savings.
Banks call this "Pay yourself last".
Rich people do "Pay yourself first.
The difference between broke and building wealth is not how much you earn. It’s the ORDER.
Section 2: How I Fixed It - "Save First" Method
January 2026 I was tired. Tired of zero balance. Tired of borrowing.
So I tried something new. It was hard first month. But by April it worked.
STEP 1: Automate or Separate on Day 1
This is the secret.
Salary entered ₦120,000 on April 25th 7:02am.
Before I bought anything, before I transferred to anyone...
7:05am, I transferred ₦24,000 to PiggyVest. I locked it for 30 days.
I named it "DO NOT TOUCH 2026".
My phone alert now said: ₦96,000 remaining.
That ₦96,000 is what I have to spend. Not ₦120,000.
Psychologically, I adjusted immediately.
For car wash/business people: The day you collect ₦20,000, remove 20% = ₦4,000 first. Put it in a separate wallet before you spend.
STEP 2: Treat Savings Like Rent
Landlord will shout if you don’t pay rent on the 1st. True or false?
I told myself: "Savings must be paid or future-me will shout".
Same urgency. Same fear.
So I set auto-transfer on my bank app for payday 7am.
If salary enters 6am, 7am it leaves to PiggyVest. I never see it.
You can’t spend what you don’t see.
STEP 3: Start Shamefully Small
First month I tried this, I could only save ₦2,000.
I felt bad. "Only ₦2,000?"
But my uncle told me: "₦2,000 x 12 months = ₦24,000. That’s better than ₦0".
Second month = ₦5,000.
Third month = ₦10,000.
By April = ₦24,000.
The muscle grows. Don’t wait until you have ₦20,000 to start.
Start with ₦500. Discipline is built with small things.
Section 3: 3 Lies That Make You Spend First
LIE 1: "My salary is too small to save"
Lie. If you can’t save ₦500 from ₦30,000, you won’t save ₦50,000 from ₦300,000.
It’s not about amount. It’s about discipline. Start small.
LIE 2: "I’ll save next month"
Next month has its own bills, its own emergencies, its own "small enjoyment".
Save this month. Even ₦1,000.
LIE 3: "Emergency will come so why save"
That’s EXACTLY why you save. Savings IS for emergency.
If you don’t save, emergency will make you borrow with interest.
Section 4: Your Action Plan This Month
Don’t just read. Do it.
1. Today: Open PiggyVest, Kuda, or Opay. Create "Savings Lock" target. Name it "2026 Goal".
2. Payday: Transfer 20% out first. If 20% is too hard, do 10%. If 10% is hard, do 5%. But do something.
3. Live on the rest: Budget with 80% only. Pretend 20% never entered your account.
Comment Below: What % can you save first this month? 5%, 10%, or 20%?
I’ll reply and cheer you. Let’s grow together.
FAQ
Q: What if I have debt/loan?
A: Split the 20%. 10% savings + 10% debt. Pay yourself AND pay debt at the same time. Don’t wait to finish debt before saving.
Q: My salary is irregular. I do car wash/business
A: Save % not amount. If you make ₦20,000 this week, save ₦2,000 first = 10%. If next week you make ₦10,000, save ₦1,000. Consistency.
Conclusion
For 3 years my account was ₦20,000 maximum. Because I spent first. In April, I saved ₦24,000. Because I saved first.
My dear readers, the order matters.
Pay yourself first. Then pay your bills. Then enjoy.
Don’t wait for "big salary". Start with this salary. Start with this week.
I’m Oluwamuyiwa from Ibadan. My toe is healing, and my money is healing too.
If this post opened your eyes, share it with a friend. Someone needs to hear this today.
God bless the work of your hands

No comments:
Post a Comment