expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Mistake 4: No Side Hustle - Why one Salary Will Keep You Broke in Nigeria 2026



March 2026 


Alert: ₦120,000 salary credited. 


Day 18: Me dey beg for transport. 

NEPA came. Food finished. Rent due. Mama called. 


I sat down on my bed and said: "Oluwamuyiwa, if this is your only money, you will be broke forever."


That was Mistake 4: No Side Hustle.

For years I was praying: "God, increase my salary". 

But I never created a second income.


In Nigeria 2026, 1 salary = 1 rope. If that rope cuts, you will fall.


Today I’ll show you 3 side hustles I started with ₦0 and ₦5,000. And how you can start your own this week.

Section 1: Why 1 Salary is Dangerous in Nigeria 2026

Egbon, let’s be honest. Depending on 1 salary in this economy is risky.


1. Salary is Fixed, Wahala is Not Fixed  

Rent increased from ₦25k to ₦40k. NEPA estimated bill ₦18,500. Bag of rice ₦55,000. Tomato ₦5,000 per basket. But your salary? Maybe your company will increase 10% in 1 year. Maybe not. 

Wahala runs faster than salary.


2. Job is Not Safe

Company can retrench 50 people tomorrow. Boss can quarrel and suspend you. ASUU strike. Fuel strike. If your only money comes from 1 place, you’ll be scared every single day. That’s not peace.


3. You Can’t Save + Invest

How do you save 20% when salary finishes on day 20? Impossible. How do you invest when there’s no "extra"? Side hustle money = your savings + investment money. That’s the truth.


The Rule: Every Nigerian salary earner needs 2 incomes minimum. 9-5 pays the bills. 5-9 builds the freedom.

Section 2: How I Broke After Relying on 1 Salary

April 2026. 


Company delayed salary for 2 weeks.

I checked my account: ₦800


No food. No data. No transport. 

I borrowed from 3 different people. I felt shame. 


I’m 42 years old. A grown man. But I was waiting for "alert" like secondary school student.


That night I cried and wrote in my Notes app: "I must have something that pays me even if salary is late."


I didn’t have money. So I started with skill.

No capital. No excuse. Just phone + data + brain.

Section 3: 3 Side Hustles I Started With ₦0 or ₦5k

You don’t need millions. You need action.


HUSTLE 1: Phone Business / Digital Services - ₦0 Capital

What I did: Used my phone + data. 

I started writing blog posts, Facebook captions, and WhatsApp business bios for people in my office and online.


How: I told 5 people: I can write professional bio for your business for ₦1,500

Time: 5-9 after work. 1-2 hours daily

Money: ₦1,500 x 4 jobs = ₦6,000 in 2 weeks.


If you can type, you can do this. If you can chat, you can do this.


HUSTLE 2: Mini Import / Buy Low Sell High - ₦5,000 Capital

  

What I did: Used "Proverbs" - buy cheap, sell with profit. I bought phone accessories - screen guards, earpiece, charger - from WhatsApp market for ₦200. I sold in my office for ₦500.


Math: Profit ₦300 x 20 pieces = *₦6,000 profit. I kept ₦5,000 to buy more stock. ₦1,000 for transport. You can sell: snacks, perfume oil, socks, airtime, data.


HUSTLE 3: Content / Blogging - ₦0 Capital

 

What I did: Investment4Business.blogspot.com

I started writing about what I’m learning - budgeting, mistakes, money.It’s hard now. But I know Google will pay AdSense later. This is 5-9 building freedom.


This blog you’re reading now is part of my side hustle. In 6 months, this can be paying ₦50k mon

Section 4: Your Action Plan This Month

Don’t just read. Start.


1. Today: Write 1 skill you have.. 

Writing? Selling? Cooking? Hair? Car wash? Teaching? Photography? 

That skill = your hustle.


2. This Week: Tell 5 people in your office/WhatsApp: 

Bro, I can do X for you. I charge ₦1,500. 

One person will say yes. That’s how it starts.


3. The Rule: Use 5-9 only. Don’t leave 9-5. 9-5 pays bills. 5-9 builds freedom. Even 1 hour daily = ₦1,500 x 4 days = ₦6,000 extra monthly. 

FAQ

Q: I’m tired after 9-5. How can I hustle?

A: Start with *1 hour only*. 7pm-8pm. Watch less TV. Scroll less TikTok. Use that 1 hour to make money. ₦6,000 extra can pay NEPA.


Q: What if I have no money?  

A: Start with skill. In 2026, Phone + Data = Capital. 

You can sell service before you sell product. Writing, design, tutoring, car wash on weekends.


Q: What if my company says no side hustle?

A: Don’t do it in office hours. Do it after work. And don’t compete with your company.

Conclusion

March 2026: 1 salary, begging on day 18. April 2026: 1 salary + 3 small hustles = Peace of mind. Egbon and Sister, God didn’t give you 2 hands to use only one. Your 9-5 is good. But your 5-9 is where freedom is.


Don’t wait for salary increase. Create income increase. I’m Oluwamuyiwa from Ibadan. 1 salary almost broke me. 2 incomes are saving me.


Comment Below: What skill can you sell in 7 days? Writing? Cooking? Selling? 

Let’s talk in comments. I’ll reply you with ideas.


If this post opened your eyes, share it. Someone is depending on 1 rope. God will bless the work of your hands - both 9-5 and 5-9.


Read Next:

Mistake 3: No Emergency Fund - How One NEPA Bill Finished My ₦120k Salary in Nigeria 2026




No comments:

Post a Comment