If you have ₦20,000 or ₦100,000 in Nigeria in 2026, should you put it in Fixed Deposit or Mutual Funds? Which one pays more?
I asked this same question after I saved ₦10,000 using ₦334 daily method and invested ₦5,000 in Treasury Bills. I attended investment seminars three times in Ibadan in 2025, and I learned the difference with correct maths. I am not a financial expert, I have been a car washer in Dugbe, Ibadan since May 4th 2025, learning through licensed brokerage.
Today I will compare Fixed Deposit vs Mutual Funds with real numbers for 2026.
What is Fixed Deposit in Nigeria?
Fixed Deposit is money you lock in a bank for 30 days, 90 days, 180 days, or 365 days. The bank pays you fixed interest. You cannot touch it until maturity.
Example: You put ₦100,000 in GTB or First Bank Fixed Deposit for 365 days at 8% per year.
Profit maths:
Interest = 100,000 x 0.08 = ₦8,000.
After 1 year, you get ₦108,000.
If you put ₦20,000 at 8%:
Interest = 20,000 x 0.08 = ₦1,600 per year.
Advantage: Your principal is safe, interest is guaranteed.
Disadvantage: Rate is low. In 2026 with inflation around 25%, 8% does not grow your money much.
What are Mutual Funds in Nigeria?
Mutual Funds is money contributed by many people, managed by professionals who invest in Treasury Bills, stocks, bonds. You buy units.
Types in Nigeria:
- Money Market Mutual Fund (low risk) - invests in Treasury Bills
- Equity Mutual Fund (higher risk) - invests in stocks
- Dollar Mutual Fund - invests in dollars
Example: Stanbic IBTC Money Market Fund, ARM Money Market Fund, Cowrywise Mutual Funds.
Profit maths: Money Market Fund rate in 2026 is about 14% to 18% per year (because Treasury Bills rate is high).
If you invest ₦100,000 at 15% for 1 year:
Interest = 100,000 x 0.15 = ₦15,000.
After 1 year, ₦115,000.
If ₦20,000 at 15%:
Interest = 20,000 x 0.15 = ₦3,000 per year.
Advantage: Pays more than Fixed Deposit, you can withdraw anytime (not locked like Fixed Deposit), managed by professionals.
Disadvantage: Not guaranteed like a bank, rate can change small.
Direct Comparison With Correct Maths - Which Pays More?
Let us use ₦100,000 for 1 year:
Fixed Deposit at 8%:
₦100,000 x 8% = ₦8,000 profit.
Total = ₦108,000.
Mutual Funds Money Market at 15%:
₦100,000 x 15% = ₦15,000 profit.
Total = ₦115,000.
Difference = Mutual Funds pays ₦7,000 more than Fixed Deposit on ₦100,000.
For ₦20,000:
Fixed Deposit at 8% = ₦1,600 profit.
Mutual Funds at 15% = ₦3,000 profit.
Difference = ₦1,400 more.
So answer: Mutual Funds pay more than Fixed Deposit in 2026.
My Experience From Ibadan
When I had ₦20,000, I went to a bank in Dugbe to ask about Fixed Deposit. They told me a minimum ₦100,000 and rate 6%. I left.
Then I tried mutual funds through the Cowrywise app with a minimum of ₦5,000 minimum. I saw a rate of 15% and I could withdraw when I needed money for tools. That worked better for hustlers like me earning irregular income.
If you earn daily as a car washer, tailor, or okrika seller in Dugbe, you need money you can withdraw anytime. Fixed Deposit locks your money for 90 days. If your bucket breaks tomorrow, you cannot touch Fixed Deposit. Mutual Funds money market allows withdrawal in 24 hours.
Which Should You Choose?
Choose Fixed Deposit if:
- You have a lot of money ₦500,000+ and you want guaranteed small interest and you won't need money for 1 year.
- You are older and you don't want any risk.
Choose Mutual Funds if:
- You have small money ₦5,000 to ₦100,000.
- You want higher interest.
- You earn irregular income like me and may need money anytime.
- You are a young hustler in Ibadan or Lagos starting an investment journey.
For me, with ₦20,000, I choose the Mutual Funds money market.
How to Start Mutual Funds With ₦5,000 in 2026
1. Download licensed apps: Cowrywise, PiggyVest, Trove, Stanbic IBTC app.
2. Register with BVN and ID.
3. Select Money Market Fund (not equity if you want low risk).
4. Start with ₦5,000.
5. Watch it grow daily. Interest adds daily.
I registered as a trader on the platform through licensed brokerage, so I can monitor.
FAQ
Q: Are Mutual Funds safe?
A: Money Market Mutual Funds invest in Treasury Bills which are government backed, so it is considered relatively safe, but not guaranteed by NDIC like bank deposit. Do your own research.
Q: Can I lose money in Mutual Funds?
A: Money Market rarely loses. Equity Mutual Funds can lose if stocks fall. Start with the Money Market if you are a beginner.
Q: I have only ₦20,000, which is better?
A: Mutual Funds. You get ₦3,000 vs ₦1,600 in Fixed Deposit.
Conclusion
In 2026 in Nigeria, Mutual Funds Money Market pays more than Fixed Deposit.
Fixed Deposit 8% = ₦8,000 profit on ₦100,000.
Mutual Funds 15% = ₦15,000 profit on ₦100,000.
For small money hustlers in Dugbe, Ibadan, Mutual Funds are better because the minimum is small and you can withdraw anytime.
Start with ₦5,000. Don't wait for ₦100,000.
I am still learning about investing as a car washer. I share what I learn from seminars and real life at the park. I am not a financial adviser.
What do you prefer - Fixed Deposit or Mutual Funds? Comment below.
Thank you for reading Investment4Business.

No comments:
Post a Comment