Menus

Friday

Best Investment Apps: What I Learned From Starting With Almost Nothing


Sometimes your first investment is not money.

Sometimes, it is your time, labour, skill and willingness to start.

I learned this from personal experience.

Last year, in May 2025, I started working as a car washer alongside two elderly colleagues. I did not start with a big business fund, expensive equipment or a perfect plan.

I started with what I could get.

I had an old cotton towel, two old buckets and one detergent. Later, as I made some money from my work, I bought a new plastic bucket, a brush and a bottle of car-wash liquid.

That may not sound like much.

But for me, it was the beginning of something important.

It taught me that when you have little money, you can still begin building something for your future.

And that is what eventually led me to think more seriously about investing.

My First Investment Was My Labour

Before I could think about putting ₦10,000, ₦20,000 or ₦100,000 into an investment, I had to find a way to earn money.

My starting point was car washing.

I was not sitting at home waiting for someone to give me capital. I went to work.

My two elderly colleagues were also part of that journey. Working alongside them reminded me that honest work does not have to begin with fancy equipment.

Sometimes you start with whatever is available.

An old towel can be useful.

An old bucket can be useful.

Your hands can be useful.

Your time can be useful.

Your ability to learn can be useful.

That is why I now look at labour differently.

Labour can be the first capital you invest in yourself.

I Did Not Start With an Investment App

There is something important I want to make clear.

I am sharing my real experience.

I did not become successful because I downloaded an investment app and immediately started making money.

I also don't want to pretend that I personally used loan apps or followed some step-by-step ₦0-to-₦10,000 formula.

That was not my story.

My story was slower and more ordinary.

I worked.

I earned what I could.

I bought better tools when I could afford them.

I learned.

I continued working.

And gradually, I started thinking beyond today's income.

That distinction matters because someone reading an investment article should be able to tell the difference between personal experience and general financial information.

From Old Tools to Better Tools

At the beginning, I had very basic equipment.

I used an old cotton towel, two old buckets and detergent.

Eventually, I bought a new plastic bucket, a brush and car-wash liquid.

Those purchases were small, but they showed me an important principle:

Small improvements can make your work easier and more sustainable.

If you earn money and spend every naira immediately, you may remain stuck at the same level.

But if part of what you earn goes toward better tools, learning, savings or productive assets, you are giving your future self a chance.

This does not mean you should never spend money on yourself.

It means you should think about having different purposes for your money.

Some money can take care of today's needs.

Some can improve your ability to earn.

And, when you are financially ready, some can be invested for the future.

From Earning Labour Income to Thinking About Investment

This is where the idea of investment became more interesting to me.

Imagine working today and receiving income only once.

Once you spend everything, the money is gone.

But investing introduces a different idea:

Can I put a portion of what I earn into something that may have value in the future?

That is the mindset I want to develop.

I want to take a portion of my labour and income and put it toward my future harvest.

I don't expect instant riches.

I don't expect every investment to make money.

And I don't believe that downloading an app automatically makes someone an investor.

Investment requires understanding risk, fees, time horizons and the possibility of losing money.

What Are the Best Investment Apps?

This is where many online articles can become misleading.

There is no single investment app that is automatically the best for everybody.

The right platform depends on what you want to invest in, the fees involved, your location, the regulations that apply, how easily you can withdraw your money, and how much risk you can tolerate.

For someone in Nigeria, it is particularly important to check whether an investment platform is properly regulated and to understand exactly what product you are buying.

An app is simply a tool.

The important question is:

What happens to my money after I put it there?

Before using any investment app, I would want to understand:

  • What am I actually investing in?

  • Who operates the platform?

  • Is the relevant company or investment product regulated?

  • What fees will I pay?

  • Can I withdraw my money when I need it?

  • What are the risks?

  • What happens if the investment loses value?

  • Am I investing for months, years or a much longer period?

Those questions are more important than simply asking which app has the nicest interface.

Don't Confuse Investment With Borrowing

My experience also taught me to be careful about borrowing.

An investment should not automatically mean taking a loan to invest.

If you are borrowing money at a high cost and putting it into something that may lose value, you could create a bigger financial problem.

For a beginner, learning how to manage earned income may be a more useful starting point.

Earn.

Control your spending.

Build some financial stability.

Learn.

Then consider investing money you can afford to leave invested.

Your First Investment Might Be Yourself

When people hear the word "investment", they often think about stocks, funds, property or other financial assets.

But there are other forms of investment.

Learning a skill can be an investment.

Buying a tool that helps you earn more can be an investment.

Improving your ability to provide a service can be an investment.

Building a reputation for reliable work can be an investment.

That was my experience with car washing.

The old towel and buckets were not a stock portfolio.

But they helped me work.

The new bucket and brush were not a financial asset in the traditional sense.

But they helped improve my ability to provide a service.

That experience changed how I think about capital.

My Plan: Turn Part of My Labour Into Future Capital

Today, I want to take that lesson further.

Instead of thinking only about how much I can earn today, I want to ask:

How much of today's effort can I preserve for tomorrow?

That could mean saving part of my income.

It could mean buying something that helps me earn more.

And when I understand an investment well enough, it could mean putting a portion of my money into a suitable investment for the long term.

The goal is not to become rich overnight.

The goal is to gradually move from only earning money toward also building assets and financial security.

What My Car-Washing Experience Taught Me About Investing

My experience gave me several lessons.

1. Start with what you have

Waiting for perfect conditions can keep you waiting forever.

I started with old equipment because that was what I had.

2. Labour has value

Before you have investment capital, your ability to work can help you create it.

Your time and skills can be the beginning.

3. Reinvest when you can

Buying a better bucket, brush or cleaning product may seem small, but improving your tools can support your ability to earn.

4. Don't chase quick money

A financial app, investment opportunity or online promise should not be trusted simply because someone says you will make money quickly.

Understand the risk first.

5. Think about the future

Today's income can disappear quickly.

Putting aside part of what you earn can give tomorrow a stronger foundation.

I Am Still Learning

I want readers of Investment4Business to understand that I am not presenting myself as someone who has mastered investing.

I am still learning.

Some things I write about will come from research and information I have studied.

Other things will come from my personal experiences.

I want to be honest about the difference.

If I have not personally used a particular investment app, loan app or financial product, I should not tell you that I used it.

Instead, I can research it, explain how it works, discuss its potential advantages and risks, and clearly tell you that it is information—not my personal experience.

That is the kind of financial content I want to build here.

From ₦0 Thinking to Investment Thinking

My journey did not begin with thousands or millions of naira.

It began with work.

It began with basic tools.

It began with showing up.

And it taught me something I will carry into my investment journey:

You don't have to start big to start building.

Maybe your first step is learning a skill.

Maybe it is saving your first ₦1,000.

Maybe it is buying a tool for your small business.

Maybe it is researching legitimate investment platforms.

Maybe it is putting a small amount into an investment you genuinely understand.

The amount may be small.

The habit can be significant.

Final Word

If you are reading this because you feel you don't have enough capital, I understand that feeling.

I have started from a place where I had very little.

My journey from working with an old towel, old buckets and basic detergent taught me that progress can begin with what is already in your hands.

But investing requires another level of discipline.

Don't invest because somebody promises quick riches.

Don't borrow expensive money just because an app makes investing look easy.

Don't put money into something you don't understand.

Learn first.

Start small when appropriate.

Keep working.

Save when you can.

And gradually, consider how part of your labour and income can become capital for your future.

That is the lesson I am taking from my car-washing experience into my investment journey.

I started with my hands. Now I want to build with what those hands can earn.

Welcome to Investment4Business.

This is my journey, and I am still learning.

Frequently Asked Questions

What was my first investment?

My first meaningful investment was not a financial app. It was my labour, time and effort through car-washing work, followed by buying basic tools that helped me do the work.

Did I start with an investment app?

No. My car-washing journey did not begin with an investment app. I am now learning more about investing and researching investment platforms before deciding what is suitable for me.

What are the best investment apps?

There is no universally best investment app. The right choice depends on the investment product, fees, regulation, risks, accessibility and your personal financial goals.

Can I start investing with a small amount?

Some investment products allow relatively small starting amounts, but availability, minimums and risks vary. Always understand the investment before committing your money.

Should I borrow money to invest?

Borrowing to invest can increase your risk because you still have to repay the loan even if the investment falls in value. Understand the cost and risk before considering it.

What can I do if I have very little capital?

Start by looking at what you already have: your time, skills, labour, knowledge and existing tools. Building your earning ability can be an important first step toward creating investment capital.

No comments:

Post a Comment